Tuesday, 14 December 2010

Evaluation Question Four

Who would be the audience for your media product?
Meet Sarah, my inspiration when considering what to do on my magazine with reguards to 'target audience'.
Although I have chosen a girl, I understand that my magazine will also be read by boys. The bands and TV programs are pretty much the same reguardless of the gender, and the shop I would say my male would shop at, is the male version of Topshop, Topman.

Her favourite kind of music genre is Indie/Rock, and she already buys Kerrang! weekly. Her favourite two bands are Arctic Monkeys and The Libertines.


Her favourite place to shop is Topshop, but she also likes the quirky styles of American Apparel.


Her favourite TV show is Skins, as she feels it reflects real life and she likes the styles of the cast.


I think she'd buy my magazine because a lot of the styles that my magazine follows, for example clothes, are what Sarah would like. Also, I have made sure that my magazine features the type of bands that she would like, and so she would enjoy my magazine.

I also looked at something known as 'Project Phoenix'. I found out that this is Bauer Media's way of looking at the music industry. The findings were that music was still the most important thing to a lot of people, more than books and films. This means that there is still an audience for music magazines. I also found out in the findings that live music is still classed as 'the best type'. This means that my magazine, which has a focus on live elements of music for example festivals, is relevant. I found there were four type of 'listeners':

- Background Listeners - music is in the 'backdrop', not so passionate listeners.

- The Headliners - like live music but not passionate about it. Prefer big names, and prefer to socialize when out in clubs rather than see the DJs.

- Track Hunters - like to discover new bands, but not always the first to. Enjoy live music.

- Pace-setters - see themselves as being different from the 'main stream'. Often talk about music and often argue about the bands and music. Although they have an obsession with music, it's diverse and not all members are extreme. What they do have in common is they all have a deep-rooted passion for music.

I decided that my magazine would be targeted towards Pace-Setters. The music which my magazine leans towards is not classed as 'mainstream' and the readers are typically passionate about music. I've made this judgement by looking at readers of similar magazines like Kerrang! and NME.

No comments:

Post a Comment