For the title of my magazine I split the choices up into two different categories that I thought would be appropriate for a music magazine – Music Terminology and Famous Album Titles.
Music Terminology
Acoustic
Beat
Chord
Dynamics
Electric
Harmony
Medley
Quartet
Rhythm
Tone
I wanted to explore something relatively well known but not so popular as to evoke only one reaction from my audience. As I had discovered me key demographic to be mainly a teenage audience, I looked to the preceding generation to inspiration. I researched famous music icons, like The Who, Michael Jackson and Bruce Springsteen.
Album Titles
Phases - The Who
Mirage – Fleetwood Mac
Control - Janet Jackson
The Rising – Bruce Springsteen
Horizon – Carpenters
Bad – Michael Jackson
Everyday - Dave Matthews Band
Meteora - Linkin Park
Rewind- Rolling Stones
Echo -Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
After brain-storming some ideas I wanted to short list the ones with the greatest potential.
Rhythm has many connotations that could make it a good music magazine title, the strongest of which would be that it implies constancy in the ability of the magazine to find new and good music, which is a major factor in the decision to buy a music magazine.
I shortlisted this album because I feel that it highlights the fleeting nature of the music industry in the way that genres and tastes in music have a very high turnover. I feel that this is a key element of my magazine as it implies that it is constantly keeping up to speed with the current trends, which is what the readers expect from this kind of magazine.
I looked into the discography of Bruce Springsteen and even though he is well known, his album names are associated with music, but not to the extent that it would be marginalised by a younger generation. I feel that this masthead has both association to the rock music genre and a link to the purpose of the magazine, to expose and encourage young bands to rise to success.
As well as a popular genre of music on its own, electric is also the essential ingredient in rock music. It also has connotations of power and the driving force behind all good music. It is also a universally known thing so it isn’t something that could exclude anybody (like an album title might)
I decided to go with electric although the word is strong, I feel it needed to pop a little more, to do this I wanted to make it monosyllabic and shortened it to ‘tric’
When it came to the font for the name, I wanted it to be in all capitals. I think that ‘Rolling Stone’ works in lower case because it is a well know band that turned into the name of a magazine. But magazines like, ‘EMPIRE’, ‘ELLE’ and ‘VOGUE’, use titles with capitals to show power and it is so it I recognisable can be immediately picked out by someone in a shop.
No comments:
Post a Comment