Friday, 10 December 2010

Preliminary Analysis

For my first attempt on Adobe Photoshop, I think this has worked quite well. It doesn’t look professional by any stretch but it has the makings of a piece that could be improved to look good.

In retrospect, I really think I should have used the colour scheme of the school, (Blue and white) as this would have made more sense for the purpose of my magazine. Although, I do really like the colour scheme or red, white and black as it is bold, eye-catching and will stand out on a shelf. I think I will keep this colour scheme for my music magazine because the most popular music magazines of this specific genre of music use red, black and white e.g. ‘NME’, ‘Q’. I think this colour scheme now tends to evoke professionalism due to the success of these existing magazines.

I think the main photo on the cover page doesn’t exactly evoke a happy college environment so the audience has not been captured. So, for a music magazine the model will have to look more indie and ‘grungy’ to appeal to my selected audience of the readers of the likes of ‘NME’ and ‘Q’, so a certain image is required.

Although, there is far too much white on the cover and I have not utilised my space well enough. In my real magazine I will make better use of all the available space. I will try to use the shape of my model in the shot to be the basis for where my text will be best placed. Also, I will try to make my photos a colour that text can comfortably sit in front of them.

I think I need to be more consistent with my fonts and colours of titles, with more examples of smaller body text. I need a much better masthead font, one that illustrates the genre of my magazine. I think that the title must be in a bold font in order to make it stand out like the ‘NME’ and ‘Q’ style mastheads. Although, I think the eroded effects done to the ‘Kerrang’ style title are more aesthetically pleasing. I also need to be more consistent with capitals and non capitals in my titles.

No comments:

Post a Comment