Friday, 10 December 2010

Audience Research

I constructed a questionnaire to asses what my audience want from their magazines. But first I had to find out what my audience age group would be. I wanted my audience to be a smililar one to that of 'MNE' and 'Kerrang'. Kerrang is 16-24 and NME is closer to 17-30. So I used people within these age groups for my research.

1) Are you male or female?

3 male and 2 female

2) How old are you?

1 in 12-15 and 4 in 15-18 catagory

3) Band or Solo Artist?

1 for band and 4 for solo artist

4) Male or female cover artist?

2 for female and 3 for male

5) What music do you listen to most?

3 for indie and 2 for rock

6) How mmuch are you willing to pay?

All for £2.00 – £2.99

7) Do you already have a subscription to a magazine?

Three of the people I asked said that they currently had subscriptions two to NME and one to Kerrang!

After collecting the results I felt that I should take the infomation in board. Although I have to take into consideretaion when analysing these results that the infomation was collected in a group that is not neccecerily representative of the entire population, as it was conducted in college with people that I came accross. So i have to take that into account. Also the gender and age ratio of my results are factors that could result in bias. I asked 60% boys and 40% girls.

So my survey found that they would prefer a male solo artist on the cover of a magazine in a indie/rock magazine. So this is the sort of the audience that I anticipated I would be appealing to, it is a relativley young audience, the sort that NME and Kerrang! attract.

My research also found that my audience are all in agreement on the price that they would be willing to pay for a magazine. £2.00 - £2.99. This is about average for magazines and depending on the number of pages and amount of content would be a reasonable price to charge per issue. Although I feel that I need to do more research in order to finalise my desicion.

No comments:

Post a Comment