Monday 4 April 2011

Double Page Spread Background

Before I started to place anything on the page, I noticed I would need a background, as just plain white would be too boring. Most of the double page spreads I have previously researched have fairly dark, black background but with a little something going on. For example, in the Murderdolls double page spread they had used an overlay effect to put a rock-like red twinge over the background. When looking at the magazines I researched, I noticed they all had some kind of subtle yet diverse dark coloured background. Before I started to place anything onto my double page spread, I needed to create a background. My colour scheme is going to be red, black and white like my front cover, to tie in with the house colours of my magazine. This also connotes rock, which is the type of music my artist plays and the type of music my audience wants to read about. I opened Photoshop and created a landscape A3 page, as this is what conventions most double page spreads use. I then used the paint bucket tool to fill the page in black, and added a white line down the middle as a guide to where the centre of the page will be (this will later be removed). Here is the start if my background:
















I then added a noise filter to my background to give it more depth. This gave the background a subtle grungy edge that does not distract too much. It also reminded me of the 'noise' image on an analogue TV when it loses signal, which also relates to the sound of the loud rock music and my title 'Volume!'. Here is the effect:
























I then added another filter, but this time a lens flare effect. This added further depth to the page, making it exciting. It also reminded me of flashing lights from cameras, which relates to Ashley's fame. Plus, it looked like lights that would be used in a recording studio, which directly ties in with the story of my artist recording her new album. Here is the effect:

























Here is the finished background and the starting point of my double page spread:

No comments:

Post a Comment